At the Voice of the Patient, we are dedicated to enhancing our ability as health care providers to truly listen to others and to establish a therapeutic alliance. In some cases, we can benefit from listening to the experience and mindset of other providers, such as Dr. Kenneth Miller.
Dr. Miller is a physical therapist and educator with more than 20 years of experience working in home care and inpatient rehab settings, as well as more than 8 years in adjunct faculty roles. He is currently a clinical educator at Catholic Home Care, in Farmingdale, N.Y. He has taught for New York Institute of Technology, University of Michigan–Flint, and Touro College. He is the co-author of the book Providing Physical Therapy in the Home, published by the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA), as well as the author of peer-reviewed publications in Neurorehabilitation and the Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy. He has presented at the APTA Combined Sections Meeting and NEXT Conference. Dr. Miller chairs the APTA’s Home Health Section Practice Committee and is a member of the editorial boards of Topics in Geriatric Rehabilitation, GeriNotes, and the Journal of Novel Physiotherapy and Physical Rehabilitation. He is the recipient of numerous honors, including three APTA Home Health Section awards. He is a Board Certified Geriatric Specialist, a TeamSTEPPS Master Trainer, an APTA Credentialed Clinical Instructor, and an APTA Certified Exercise Expert for Aging Adults.
We discuss the role of the 3 D’s — dementia, delirium, and depression. Dr. Miller shares his experience with seeing the 3 D’s in clinical practice as a physical therapist. For any questions or comments, you can find Dr. Miller on Twitter @kenmpt. Dr. Miller also teaches a pharmacology course for GREAT Seminars.
- Dr. Miller’s course for GREAT Seminars: Clinical Implications of Pharmacology for Therapists Working with Older Adults
- Patient Health Questionnaire-2 (PHQ-2): http://www.aafp.org/afp/2012/0115/p139.html
- Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS): http://www.psychcongress.com/saundras-corner/scales-screeners/depression/geriatric-depression-scale-short-form-gds-sf
- Mini-Cog: http://mini-cog.com/mini-cog-instrument/standardized-mini-cog-instrument/
- Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MoCA): https://www.mocatest.org/
- Saint Louis University Mental Status (SLUMS) Exam: http://www.rehabmeasures.org/Lists/RehabMeasures/DispForm.aspx?ID=1151
- Mini-Mental Status Exam (MMSE): https://patient.info/doctor/mini-mental-state-examination-mmse
- Confusion Assessment Method (CAM) Test: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/481726
- Cornell Scale for Depression in Dementia (CSDD): http://www.psychcongress.com/saundras-corner/scales-screeners/depression/cornell-scale-depression-dementia-csdd
*Find more helpful podcasts & blog posts at http://TheVoiceOfThePatient.org
*Check out the other podcasts in the Senior Rehab Project at http://SeniorRehabProject.com